Weight Loss Surgery
Ozarks Healthcare Surgical Specialists offers Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeves and Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass surgeries.
You can get started today by watching our online seminar videos below. Our online weight loss seminars offer important information to help you decide which weight loss option is best for you. Please watch each of the following segments of the online seminar. Do not skip or fast forward; you may miss important details about your surgery options.
Online seminar videos
- Bariatric and metabolic procedure that causes weight loss by creating physical and chemical changes in the body
- Works physically by changing the shape and size of the stomach, reducing the amount of food being ingested at one time. It turns to become the shape of a banana, usually holding about three ounces and the excised part is being removed
- Works chemically by changing signals being sent to the brain, increases the feeling of fullness and decreases hunger
- Physical and chemical changes help the body better manage the food eaten and the amount of fat stored
Another Bariatric and metabolic procedure that works in two ways. It creates physical change in the body by reducing the amount of food you eat at one time and chemical change by affecting the signals in the body that control blood sugar levels.
The surgery entails creating a stomach pouch that holds less amount of food, the pouch gets divided from the rest of the stomach and then surgically attached to the middle of the small intestine, skipping the rest of the stomach and the upper portion of the intestine(duodenum), with these changes, signals being sent to the brain as the person feels full and decreases hunger.
Ozarks Healthcare Surgical Specialist Clinic is pleased to offer ORBERA™ Weight Loss Surgery. Dr. Magdy Giurgius is certified to perform ORBERA™ Weight Loss Surgery.
What is ORBERA™?
- A comprehensive two-part program designed to provide effective, motivating results that you can see. With ORBERA™ patients on an average lose 3.1 times the weight they would with diet and exercise alone.
- Starts with a soft balloon placed in your stomach for six months to reinforce proper portion control.
- The ORBERA™ balloon takes up space in your stomach and helps you eat smaller meals.
- The balloon is temporary and placed in your stomach without surgery or any incisions and stays there for six months.
- Patients will receive coaching from a team of experts which may include a dietician, psychologist, and exercise physiologist.
- Coaching continues after the balloon is removed at six months for a total of 12 months.
The Procedure: Placement and removal
- Non-surgical procedure done under a mild sedative, the thin and deflated ORBERA™ balloon is placed into the stomach. It is then filled with saline until it's about the size of a grapefruit. The procedure typically takes about 20-30 minutes so you are able to go home the very same day.
- At six months, the balloon is removed in the same way it was placed, through a non-surgical procedure. While you are under a mild sedative, the balloon is deflated first then removed.
What to expect
- The weight loss is rapid with the majority of the weight loss typically occurring in the first three months of treatment.
- On average, patients lost 3.1 times the weight compared to just diet and exercise alone.
- The adjustments to your eating habits and your continued efforts to stay active will greatly influence your results.
To qualify for ORBERA™, you should:
- Be an adult
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 to 40
- Be willing to participate in a medically supervised program
- After six months with the ORBERA™ two-part program, people lost an average of 3.1 times the weight patients lost with just diet and exercise alone.
- The program is proven to keep the weight off even after the balloon is removed.
- A more than 20-year history of helping thousands of people lose weight.
- More than 220,000 ORBERA™ balloons have been distributed worldwide in over 80 counties.
- With the FDA approval of ORBERA™, patients now have a safe and effective treatment option.
Directions for Use (DFU). ORBERA™ Intragastric Balloon System (ORBERA™). Austin, TX: Apollo Endosurgery, Inc.